Entries close soon for the 22nd Annual CIPA EVVYs Book Awards. We’ve been blown away by the terrific books that have been entered this year!
If you’re planning to enter, do it now, as our last day to accept entries is Saturday, May 21 2016. Finalists will be announced on August 1. Our awards banquet will be held on Saturday, August 20 at the Forney Museum of Transportation here in Denver.
When I talk with authors about book awards, I’m often asked, “Why should I enter my book in an awards competition? Is this just an ego trip for authors?” No, book awards aren’t just to gratify your ego. They’re also a good way to market your book. Here are 5 reasons you should consider entering a book award competition or two:
1. Winning an award gets you publicity and your book gets instant credibility. It also gives you a reason to send out press releases and post your award on social media, announce on your blog, in your newsletter — you get the idea. Don’t be shy about letting your public know.
2. Winning an award enables you to say you’re an award-winning author. Add “Award-Winning Author” to your marketing materials, your resume, your website, and so on. Own it! It’s gives you credibility that rubs off on all of your work – including your other books.
3. An award could help you land that distribution deal for your book. Distributors want to represent books that will sell. An award is one more credible reason why they should take a look at your book. (The same goes for bookstores and libraries too.)
4. An award could bring your work to the attention of a publisher. Publishers want to buy books that will sell. Awards are a great indication that yours will be worth looking at.
5. Awards can help your book sales. Publicizing your book award will also bring your book to the public’s attention. Awards are a stamp of approval that readers respond to.
To all of you entering the CIPA EVVYs, best of luck! See you at the awards banquet!