CIPA Education and Literacy Foundation (CIPA ELF) is a nonprofit Colorado corporation that is tax exempt and recognized as a Public Charity under the provisions of IRC Section 501(c)(3). CIPA Education and Literacy Foundation is listed in IRS Publication 78 and registered with the State of Colorado. Contributions to CIPA ELF are tax deductible to the fullest extent permitted by law.
What are the CIPA EVVY™ Awards?
The CIPA EVVYs™ is one of the longest-running book award competitions on the Indie publishing scene, running for nearly 26 years. The annual contest is sponsored by the Colorado Independent Publishers Association (CIPA), along with the CIPA Education and Literacy Foundation (ELF).
The CIPA EVVYs™ receive entries from all over the world, including England, Belgium, South Africa, Russia and Dubai. With a growing number of entries in the nearly 50 categories, the CIPA EVVYs™ continue to provide an excellent way for independent authors to gain recognition for their work.
How are the entries judged?
The judging is tough—the way a book competition should be. Judges are selected through CIPA’s judging qualification process and include teachers, business leaders, authors, critics, editors, readers and others. Our judges know books.
CIPA EVVY™ entries are reviewed and scored according to established minimum criteria. Awards in each category are based on highest scores; however, in order to be eligible for 1st place, 2nd place, 3rd place, or merit award, each book must receive the minimum scoring requirements set for each award level.
Why Authors Enter
Traditional literary awards are genre-specific or only open to members of the sponsoring organization.
High-quality, independently published books and books from small presses are often overlooked in favor of works sponsored by big publishers.
The CIPA EVVYs™ are open to all types of independently published books, regardless of membership status with the Colorado Independent Publishers Association. The CIPA EVVYs™ recognize achievement across a diverse range of genres and technical categories.
In addition to critical recognition and the credibility afforded by the rigorous judging process, being a winner of the CIPA EVVY™ Book Awards has produced tangible results for authors, including:
- PR opportunities
- Increased book sales
- Better marketing position
- Distribution deals
Award Submission Categories
Regular Categories: Nonfiction Genres (click to view)
- Business—General/Careers/Communications/Entrepreneurship/Finance/Marketing/Public Relations/Technology/Writing and Publishing
- Children Nonfiction
- Cultural Studies/Social Issues
- History—General/Military/United States
- Narrative Nonfiction
- Parenting & Family Life
- Self Help—General/Relationships
Regular Categories: Fiction Genres (click to view)
- Children’s Picture Books
- Children’s Story Books
- Horror—Psychological Horror/Gothic Horror/Occult
- Juvenile Fiction—Middle Grade
- Literary & Contemporary Fiction
- Multicultural Fiction—American experience from minority points of view.
- Mystery/Crime/Detective—General Mystery/Cozy/Historical/Police Procedural/Paranormal
- Religious/ Spiritual Fiction
- Romance—Christian/Contemporary/Romantic Comedy/Erotic Romance/Paranormal/Gothic/Historical/Regency/Reverse Harem/Romantic Suspense/Western
- Science Fiction—Hard Sci-Fi/Post-Apocalyptic/Dystopia/Military Sci-Fi/Alternate History/Cyberpunk/Steampunk
- Thrillers/Suspense—Espionage Psychological/ Historical/Medical/Supernatural/Military/ Techno
- Women’s Fiction—These plot lines are characterized by central female characters who face challenges, difficulties, and crises that have a direct relationship to gender.
- Young Adult 14 – 18 Years-old
Technical Categories (click to view)
- Audio Books
- Children’s Illustration
- Cover Design
- General Illustration
- Interior Layout/Design
- Printing & Binding
Submissions are CLOSED.
- Early Bird Entries – February 15, 2020 – March 21, 2020
- Regular Entries – March 22, 2020 – May 30, 2020
- 2020 CIPA EVVY™ Submission Deadline: May 30, 2020 at 5 p.m. MDT