2340 Blake St
Denver, CO 80205
Your Publishing Journey – Next Stop Distributors & Wholesalers presented by Melissa Serdinsky
Please note the new start time!!
YOUR PUBLISHING JOURNEY- NEXT STOP DISTRIBUTORS AND WHOLESALERS: Melissa Serdinsky, a seasoned publishing industry professional will share information on how best to sell your books through distributors and wholesalers who have access to and relationships with bookstores and other retail businesses. Attendees will gain a comprehensive understanding of what publishers should expect when they work with distributors & wholesalers.
Some of the important questions that will be answered include:
- What are the key differences between a distributor and a wholesaler?
- What are the pros and cons of working with a distributor or selling to a wholesaler?
- What competitive advantage do distributors and wholesalers offer?
- How does a publisher establish a relationship with a wholesaler?
- When is the right time for a publisher to start thinking about full-service distribution?
- How do returns work and what recourse do publishers have if books are returned damaged?
- What are the standard payment terms that are established and how and when are payments made to publishers?
- What promotion and sales efforts for the publishers’ books are provided by distributors/wholesalers?
- What is the expectation of the distributor or wholesaler regarding the essential design & production of a publisher’s titles?
- How does selling books on Amazon impact the relationship a publisher has with a distributor or wholesaler?
Melissa Serdinsky has been working hands-on in the bookselling and publishing universe for over 30 years. She spent the 80’s working in a bookstore, the 90’s slaving away in New York for all sizes of publishers from Big 5 to mid-sized independent houses before finding her publishing family at the Perseus Books Group in 2001. During her 15 years at PBG, Melissa developed an industry-leading digital print program, ran a lean manufacturing program for several NYT bestseller publishing including Basic Books, Da Capo Press, and Public Affairs, and oversaw a content creation team of project editors, interior designers, and epub tech geeks. During her time as VP, ICG Services for Ingram Content Group, Melissa worked with 350+ independent publishers to find solutions to grow their business through the Ingram brands. She now works independently with all sizes of publishers looking to take the next step in their publishing journey.
Round Table Sessions – TBA